Monday, February 09, 2009

Thrifty Gifty Revisited!

Hi everyone,

I just got this super-cute email from my sister-in-law, Tami Comstock.

Hey Guys! Considering we are now 'officially' in the middle of a recession, I thought I'd apply the principles of the "Thrifty Gifty" Christmas projects to my Valentine gift giving. I crafted these two treat cartons out of the coveted Hot Chocolate container (big one) and an emptied-since-Christmas Almond Roca container (smaller one) to send as care packages to my loved ones that are living far away. I am filling them with treats and sweet little cards to brighten their day! As you can see, Chemistry did a lovely job of creating a rich and romantic palette and had just the right sentiments to express my love and fondness for them.

My only problem with Tami's awesome thrifty gifty is that since I started the Five Dollar Diet with Lindsay, my supply of Hot Chocolate and Candy containers has greatly diminished. Healthy food just doesn't come in as cute of packaging! Why is that, I wonder? Couldn't they sell Soy Chips in cute little canisters instead of potato chip bags? How about a heart shaped box of clementines or a decorative tin of oatmeal? What do you think?

14 comments:

pattyb said...

See there's somewhere that Cosmo could branch out in...crafty cans and tins for the health conscious. I have to say you are doing so well with your commitment to no snacky foods. I am very impressed.

mustangkayla said...

I'm liking the oatmeal in a heart container idea! lol...I saved a bunch of formula cans from DS and stored them in a extra dresser. DS is now three and I just came across them! They will make great alterables!

Shirley said...

too cute!

Summer Braxton said...

I've just gotta say how much I love reading this blog. It's so much fun and full of great ideas. I just wanna work with (ahem.... for) ya'll! How's your staple-filler-person workin' out for ya? Need to replace him? Thanks for the smiles!

chq said...

Yay for Tami and her crafty ways...and how lucky for all the recipients of her Thrify Valentines!

Erika M. said...

I never really thought about it but you're right. There are not cute containers of healthy stuff. Oh well, I guess we'll just have to make our own.

Crystal said...

Those are so cute!! I love that paper line too. I agree more healthy food should be put in those super cute containers that make us buy them for no reason

scandi said...

I have used Altoid tins etc for little valentine gifts- putting a picture inside and making a little "scene" with trinkets. Otherwise nuts aren't bad for you and they usually come in some nice containers!

ScrapMomOf2 said...

These are CUTE! Chemistry looks wonderful on these projects! Ah, healthy foods in cute containers! Great idea!

Heidi said...

very cute! I haven't altered anything in a dogs age. I think most "healthy" foods tend to be "green" too and so packaging can become an issue. That being said, I am sure I saw some yummy irish oatmeal in a cute metal can....

There's always the dollar store I guess :)

jo-ann said...

tetley tea has some awesome alterable containers as well as spice containers! love all the things that were made! the paper line is awesome!

Unknown said...

I do have a healthy snack tin idea...it involves fruit - do you like fruit??? Cute little altered cans - I don't know how to send you a pic...Sher B.

Unknown said...

I do have a healthy snack tin idea...it involves fruit - do you like fruit??? Cute little altered cans - I don't know how to send you a pic...Sher B.

Cheri said...

Actually, look in your cereal aisle or maybe the health food section for Irish Oats. I bought a tin of oats a while back and am saving the tin for altering later. It's a lot like a paint can...maybe a great guy gift is brewing?....=D