Thursday, December 18, 2008

Buckle Up Mom and Dad....

it's going to be a roller coaster!

Yesterday, I was at the warehouse fumigating all our employees with the smell of spray paint as I worked on some Christmas projects for my kids. When I got home, Kate was very excited to see me. Kate is my oldest daughter and the child who's personality is most like my own. She says, "Guess what Mom! Zack left another note in my desk today."

Let's back up here for one quick second. Zac, a poor, apparently smitten boy has come up in conversation in our home before. A few months back he left a secret note in Kate's desk telling her that he loved her. Of course, the rest of the class let Kate in on who her secret admirer was. And, not being a shy girl, Kate walked right up to him, note in hand and said, "Please explain." Zac, not knowing what to do ran away. I hadn't heard about him since until yesterday.

So, back to the story. Kate continued, telling me what the note said. "Roses are red, Violets are blue, Do you like me? Because I like you!" It was signed "Your Secret Writer." This time Kate didn't do anything to embarrass Zac, which I was glad for since we had talked at length about how she had probably humiliated him the last time. But, after lunch there was a second note that said, "Are you going to respond? Your Secret Writer."

Then, Kate proceeded to read me the following letter, which I have scanned for you amusement.

You can click on it to see it larger, but it says, "Dear Zac, I know you are the one who's been writing to me. I will respond now. You are a really good friend. I love romance (try to keep a straight face when your child reads that to you). I personally think that romance is the best type of story on earth. I don't think you're crazy (I'm not sure why she thought it was important to include this observation). Zac, you are a really nice boy. I think you have WONDERFUL talents. My three favorite sports are ballet, basketball and rollerblading. What are your favorite sports? I really think you have good talents. Sincerely, Kate C.

What's almost as funny as the letter, is Eric's take on it. He doesn't think Kate is very clear at all about how she feels about Zac. He thinks this is the beginning of man's misunderstanding of women. Why, he wants to know, does Kate not just directly say exactly what she feels. "What is Zac suppose to make of this," he asked me, "It's like she's given him a little bit of hope just so she can toy with him some more."

Maybe looking into Kate's world, Eric will learn to understand all women better. Is Kate in love? Is she trying to let Zac down gently? Is she afraid of admitting she likes him too? What do you think?

30 comments:

AuBien said...

I love this...thank you for sharing. I have to agree with Eric though,...I can't tell if Kate likes Zac "like that" or not. And I remember at that age how fun it was if someone had a crush on you so...it's all good.
:)

Colleen said...

Get that seat belt on tight, it is going to be crazier as she gets older.

Lulu said...

Oh dear... I am laughing so hard here! I LOVE Kate! I'm going to say that I think she likes him, or as she said, he is a good friend and didn't want to hurt his feelings. I remember when I got notes from boys I didn't like me and my friends would rip them up and pretend it never happened. Looking back, I was probably pretty cruel to the poor boy. I'm not even her mom but I'm proud of Kate! What a great girl she must be! And who doesn't love a little romance??? ;)

s zuklich said...

this is just priceless! good thing you got to scan it (perhaps fuel for embarrassing her when she is older? haha).
good luck to zac!

LovelyMissKait said...

Kudos to you for having such a wonderful and open relationship with your daughter.

I am with Eric...I can't tell whether she wants to let Zack down gently or is stringing him along.

If her intention was to let him down gently, the message is not coming across. The best bet is to be straight and to the point.

I can't wait to see what happens next.

Julie said...

One more bit of information that could further confuse poor Zac:

Yesterday was also the talent show at the school. Kate and her best friend did a lip sync to Super Trouper by Abba. I asked her, teasingly, if she pointed at Zac when she sang, "somewhere in the crowd is you." She said, in horror, "I would never point at a BOY, Mom!!!!" Then she said, "I pointed at Amanda, but she was sitting right in front of Zac and so maybe he thought I was pointing at him."

Angie said...

You could either write a soap opera with this. Orrrr.... it it's a sign you need therapy.

Julie said...

Angie,

You're just figuring out now that I need therapy?!?

lfalduto said...

#1 Kate should be a politician when she grows up.

#2 I can totally hear you laughing Julie

#3 What does Grandpa Lindsay have to say about it all?

Oh, no therapy needed for anyone.......you are a fun loving group and just keep it that way!

pattyb said...

Boy I got Flashbacks, that's all I will say about that. But you're daughter is the cutest!! She's responding to him (unclearly, yes) but still it will mean alot to him to hear from her. This is adorable, please keep us in touch.

Tina said...

I love it! We were in Walmart (my 9y/o son and I) the other day (in the craft area) and these two little girls were totally flirting with him and talking about how cute he is...he was TOTALLY oblivious. My 7y/o however, is all about the girls. He's been writing notes since he was 5! My poor heart!
Good luck with this one!

Jenn said...

oh my, that is too funny. poor guy probably doesn't know what to think. I'm thinking at this age, she does like him, but at an older age it would be an easy let down

Jenny B in Indy said...

Oh my.. THat is just SO cute! You must scrap that letter!!!

Summer Braxton said...

Tears are spilling down my face I am laughing so hard. I couldn't even see the keys clearly and had to go back and retype this message. I agree with Eric. This is Zac's intro into the world of crazy women.... I can say this because I am the president of this club :)

Lulu said...

Oh no! That addition to the story! Poor Zac!... LOL Let us know how this story enfolds.. :)

Stampin_melissa said...

Oh my! Poor Zac! I don't think it will be clear to him which way she is leading him. Oh well, he has to learn this lesson on girls sometime. :) My 5 y/o DS has a crush on a girl in his class and calls her his "best friend" and even made a friendship card and gave to her. He was so disappointed that the only response she gave him was that he misspelled her name!

Chelle said...

OMG!!! I am so impressed! what fun!! she is letting him down easy, of course...better to point out his talents and divert with sports when it comes to men (and boys)!!! love that eric is confused, makes it so much better!
chelle

wendy said...

I kinda agree with Eric, the letter isn't "to the point". Men need "to the point" :)

This is so sweet that he did this! (Zac...not Eric)

connie said...

How cute!! thanks for sharing. I have to agree with Eric. She never says yes or no.

ScrapAloha said...

Totally cute! TFS! Poor Zac, he doesn't know what he's in for LOL.

Mary Dawn said...

at first read, i thought she was letting him down easy...however, she does ask him an open ended question...she wants him, it's clear

(also, how cute is she?)

ScrapMomOf2 said...

My initial opinion is that she thinks of him as a friend only. Just what I "read" into it! Oh my goodness, that is just too cute!! Ah, young romance! At least the boy has talents!! I love it!

Erika M. said...

I think the letter is really sweet; however, she should tell him if she likes him or not in that way! I agree with Colleen it will get crazy from the mother of a 13 year old girl!

kategrizz said...

As a fellow Kate (and a former Katie C.) I remember the days of notes with
"Do you like me? - Check the box

[ ] Yes
[ ] No"

Can't get much clearer than that!!

My 15 year old recently broke up with a boy, and confessed to me that she googled "How to break up with a sensitive guy" because she hoped they could remain friends. LOL!!!

Tricia T said...

I'm so glad that I found your blog. It gives me daily inspiration... or amusement!! :) About the beginning of boy likes girl... well, good luck with that!!

Bunny B said...

This is really cute! I think she just wants to be friends with Zac and nothing more. You should ask Kate! :P But I agree with Eric too! :)

Rita S. said...

Just tell Eric women are from Venus and men are from Mars. (LOL)

This so has to be preserved in a mini album - the whole saga!! Because you just wait...someday she and Zac may go to the prom together and it could be innocently placed on the coffee table. (LOL) (sorry - sitcom image in my head- does anyone really have a coffetable these days?)

I remember the notes with checkboxes to - oh my - those were the days of getting to the point of it all!

KnitterPam said...

The beginning of the letter makes it sound like a very nice letdown. "I think you're a really great guy, but...." But there's no letdown. I'm not sure if she likes him back or not? But how sweet is this? She really thought through her answer and sounded very grownup. I loved reading this! :)

Mary Eisen said...

Awaaa TOO CUTE! I have a 3 year old little girl, can't wait for this! Maybe she's trying to see if they are compatible (hobbies) before she commits! hee hee! How funny.

Becky said...

I guess she's just not that into him. Good luck Julie, she's going to be as much trouble as you were.