Tuesday, September 25, 2007

How To Be Funny

People often ask me how I come up with all my funny writing on our packaging and advertising. Well, for me it really is just the way I am, but for others being funny is hard work. If you fall into the humor-impaired category, don't worry. If you're not sure whether you are funny or not.......... think fast -- you're at the local scrapbook store and the lady in line in front of you asks if they have any Buck Naked chipboard -- what do you say? Give up? Read on, humor impaired person, and learn the secrets of being funny.

Secret #1: Pain is the basis for all humor. It's a simple fact that if nobody gets hurt, it isn't funny. The only exception to this rule is when the pain happens to you. When you get hurt, it's not funny. It just hurts. However, other people will find your pain amusing, so be consoled in the knowledge that even though it hurts, people are still laughing at you.

Secret #2: When something happens that you do not expect to happen, that's funny. When you tell a joke and no one laughs, that's funny because you didn't expect that to happen. Unless you have had a lifetime of failed jokes, in which case it would be expected and not funny. But, the fact that you haven't given up yet could be unexpected, which would be funny. (See What Can Brown Do For You)

Secret #3: The truth is funny. It can also be painful making it even funnier. (See Album Envy)

Secret #4: Saying words in funny ways is funny. I'm not talking about puns because puns are not funny. Here's an example: If a guy is with his girlfriend, and he calls her "Cathy" when he meant to say "Tina," that's funny. But beware, this type of humor is often followed by humor involving pain. (See above.) (For more examples, see The Cosmo Sign Off)

Secret #5: Pick something funny to make fun of. For me, I don't have to look very far. I can always make fun of myself which everyone finds very funny. If I'm tired of Julie jokes, I always have Eric and Lindsay supplying me with more material than a funny person could ever use in a lifetime.

PS: Some of this writing was borrowed from David J. Parker and Samuel Stoddard because I might not be as funny as I think I am.

1 comment:

Susan said...

I think puns are funny. in fact, I think they are a high form of comedy because not only do they involve humor but they also involve intelligence! (or maybe I just think that because I like puns! lol!!)